Monday, May 28, 2012

It begins....

I'm starting to go through boxes from the basement of our old place in Colfax.  It's funny to me that when going through a box of fabric and old sewing projects, I start to say to myself, "Oh!  This purse.  I should really make this bag.  No!  No!"  So things are going in our yard sale pile pretty easily, but I do have to have a little conversation with myself.   (Or Hazel.  Going through things with a 3, almost 4 year old, can prove to be difficult if the item is pink, obviously for a little girl, etc... and she wants to keep it.)

Jason has a collection of rare and old books, both ones he has found and ones from his family.  One that I had completely forgotten about was this Bible that was presented to my maternal grandmother, Mary Stuart Dyke in 1925.  I think I must have it since I carried it at our wedding (?) and it wound up in my books.  Jason found it the other day and it was so neat to look at it.  Of course, this is staying with our book collection and not going into the yard sale pile.     

Another fun thing I found was this plate that my best friend growing up, Melissa, made for me when we graduated from high school in 2000.  It has pictures from our days back in San Leandro, and after she moved to Davis, and I moved to Ripon.  I love it!  Even though we look a little silly, it's a wonderful memory.

We're trying to come up with a rule for our books, since we both love them, but don't necessarily want to keep them all.  Since I was a history major and Jason went to a liberal arts college, we have a lot of books (understatement of the year).  Since we are hoping to move next year sometime and most definitely will not be settling down for a long time in one place, we don't want to be hauling a cargo load of books, but we don't want to get rid of things that we like/will want to read again.  But I'm sure we'll come up with something.  

I also found the hardware for some curtain rods I know we got rid of about 4 years ago.  Awesome.  So glad I kept them completely separate from the curtain rods so that I would not find them when they were needed 4 years ago.  Don't you just love that?

More treasures to come, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Shellie said...

Sounds like a familiar scenario. I guess I should go through things with a clear vision of purging. However, I may be a bit like Hazel.