Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Watch out attackers...

This afternoon was wonderful. As I was jogging around our neighborhood, the kids delivering the afternoon local paper weren't wearing parkas and goggles. Joggers weren't wearing two sweatshirts. There was a myriad of bikers, moms with strollers, and walkers out and about. I saw two squirrels chasing each other up a tree. Some kids played a game of basketball at the park. And...I could see some green budding starting to emerge from the trees. Call me crazy, but I think spring is almost here.

After I jogged for twenty minutes (who out there is proud of me, let's see a show of hands) I walked home. But then this really great, really loud song came on my MP3 player (which by the way you shouldn't listen to too loudly, but that's a whole other story) and of course I turned it up way too loud. I sprinted the last block home, skipping, etc... As I went into our apartment, I told myself to not freak out when I saw Jason, because I couldn't hear anything and not to react as though he were an attacker.

He unfortunately popped out of the kitchen when I came in. I screamed and jumped into defense position (maybe those self defense moves we learned in high school actually sunk in) with my legs crouched and my arms ready to go. He screamed in response and jumped two feet in the air, nearly dropping his toast.

So we had a good laugh about that.

Another thing about jogging. I bought my running shoes when I was 14 and we were in Washington DC because my mother didn't think it wise to let her middle child spend two weeks walking around in flip flops (I have no defense. I was 13 and thought it was cool). And I still wear them. Yes, they look a little used, but not nearly 10 years worth. They have been up Half Dome twice and to Japan, Guatemala, and New York City, but really, it's kind of sad that I haven't needed a new pair.

5 comments:

Wesley said...

there are three things i am wondering:
a) why do the kids need to wear goggles when they deliver papers?
b) what was the song?
and
c) why didn't you post a pic of shoes?

Anonymous said...

I wish you could have heard Peter laugh when he read your blog. "Oh! I can SO see her doing that!" And then he demonstrated what you must have looked like, scream and all. LOL Now I'M laughing at him. (He's in the kitchen telling Mom now.)

Jason said...

Senor Van Dyken, here are the answers to your questions.

1. I guess the high speeds that the kids attain while walking around the neighborhood can affect their eyesight. (Really, I was just exaggerating.)

2. The song was "My Name is Jonas" by Wheezer. Not my most favoritist song in the world, but there are some very good loud rocky sections for sprinting too.

3. I didn't take a picture of the shoes because a) I didn't think of it and b) Jason stole the batteries from the digital camera to put in our remote mouse. (Computer mouse that is.) I will post a picture once I recharge the other ones.

Buenos noches!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes- I remeber that argument in some mall in Washington DC, Should I say that "mother always knows best?" Love you and I'm glad spring is coming. Send some down here, ok?

Jason said...

I just realized it should be "buenas noches." Noche is feminine.