Monday, June 14, 2004

The Math Skills of a College Graduate

My friend, we'll call her "Nina", works in a textbook store part-time. "Nina" is a recent college graduate with a B.A. in history and a highly intelligent young lady. A few weeks ago I was visiting her at work and helped her close out the cash register. It was my job to count out the change. As I counted it out, I told "Nina" the totals and she added them up. Here is our conversation:

Me: Pennies, $0.37

Nina: Ok....

Me: Nickels, $1.25

Nina: Ok....

Me: Dimes, $4.60

Nina: Ok....

Me: Quarters, $1.00

Nina: Ok.......so the total is $15.32!

Me: What!?!?!

Nina: That's what the calculator says! I punched it in all right.

Me: (After some calculations.) The total is $7.22!

Nina: Oh.

A big thank you to the liberal arts, which have prepared me and my friend for a life where we cannot add up small sums without calculators and when we do, its usually wrong. (In my friend's defense, I make tons and tons of mistakes in simple math.)

No comments: