Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Psalm 42 from a new mom's perspective

1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?[b]
3 My tears have been my food day and night,
While they continually say to me,
“Where is your God?”

4 When I remember these things,
I pour out my soul within me.
For I used to go with the multitude;
I went with them to the house of God,
With the voice of joy and praise,
With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.

5 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
For the help of His countenance.[c]

6 O my God,[d] my soul is cast down within me;
Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,
And from the heights of Hermon,
From the Hill Mizar.
7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;
All Your waves and billows have gone over me.
8 The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,
And in the night His song shall be with me—
A prayer to the God of my life.

9 I will say to God my Rock,
“Why have You forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
10 As with a breaking of my bones,
My enemies reproach me,
While they say to me all day long,
“Where is your God?”

11 Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God.

A couple of weeks ago the sermon was on the 42nd Psalm. I've read this chapter several times, but it really spoke to me especially as a new mom who at the time would have bouts of wonder as to whether or not our daughter was doing ok or if something possibly was off or if I was just imagining things. (I would get quite upset just a week ago if she didn't have a poop at the same time of day that she did the previous few days. I'm past that now, just so you all know.) Of course it was just worry based on never being around a newborn for more than 10 minutes at a time, but I would still get very worried about the littlest things at night that might not bother me much during the day when I could reason things through.

The main part that really spoke to me was in verses 5 and 11, David asks himself twice why he is downcast; why is he despondent. There are troubled times and we may wonder why things happen the way they are, but the important thing is to remember what we know about God and his faithfulness at all times. David is talking to himself here and reminding himself of what he always knows, especially when things are fine. As our pastor said, don't doubt in the dark what you knew in the light. It is folly to sit in the dark and just letting your thoughts run away with you. I was just reminded that when my mind does this, to place my hope in the Lord and praise Him.

Jason agreed that it was a very fitting sermon for me, two weeks into motherhood. Despite my occasional worries, I really can do nothing by praise God for our healthy little girl and the fact that everything has been quite easy for me. Not everyone can say that.

No comments: