Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm always torn

between two options: which would be better, to live in the country or town?

Every time I drive into Moscow I love the scenery. The golden hills of wheat and the little farmhouses and cow pastures. It's all so beautiful. I drove out to a park just outside of Colfax the other day to check it out for picnic potential and saw several lovely houses with huge gardens. And whenever I've visited Jason at their old job site in Spokane, I love the fact that the house is out in the country among the fields and pine trees. It's really gorgeous up there. I'd love to have a farmhouse with a garden and an acre or two; so much potential for outdoor activities and to see Hazel run around when she's older (along with any future siblings).

But then I think about living in town and how nice it is to pop the baby in the stroller and go downtown and grab a coffee (this would be in Moscow, since there isn't a coffee shop in Colfax) or go to the co-op. Or to stroll down the park. I guess the only "pro" on my Living in Town list would be the convenience of walking to stores and some errands. But I don't know if that's enough to make town completely win out over the country.

So I guess I'm not so torn. I think we should look to find a place to live in the country...

2 comments:

Mary and Jim said...

We are going through the same "discussion". What a quandry.

Christine Cohen said...

That's funny Liz, Joel and I have had that same discussion too! I think we're leaning more towards the country side, but not TOO country so that we're not stranded in the winter in the middle of nowhere and can't make it into town...