Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Convocation

Today was the first day of school. But not for me. Sniff. Jason started back today and we had a great morning (and afternoon) of orientations. I might be a glutton for punishment, but I like "start-of-school-programming" so I went with him to all the events today despite my not being enrolled at the college. Got oriented about the responsibilities of being an upperclassman and not to be too mean to the freshman. Then we went home and Jason went to work finishing a porch railing he was fixing at the apartment. My periodic phone calls of "We only have an hour before convocation starts" were not too helpful, since he had to finish the railing as it was not all that safe if he just left a two story porch sans railing. He got covered in this lovely carcinogenic substance used in sealing wood, ran home, got ready to go, and we were a bit late to the meeting. Convocation is the main meeting of the year, where everyone is welcomed back and a few of the professors speak. Interesting lecture on the importance of the classical languages and the history of the word canary - really - very interesting. From the fact that there was the canary bird on the Canary Islands with had canines running around on them. Or something like that. I'm not too familiar with etymological practices.
Oh - and I am now an officially licensed Idahoan driver. This was christened with my first Idahoan parking ticket! I feel like I'm back in Davis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, sure didnt take you long to create a record for yourself!