Monday, March 24, 2014

And here we go....

So it's been a little while since I posted on here.  Like seven months.

Life has been busy with three little people, lots of activities, playing, schooling, and then when you throw major morning sickness in there from Halloween until Groundhog Day, you might understand why I haven't been on here as much.

But I wanted to write on here again because we're about to go on a little adventure.  Well it may not seem super adventurous to move back to your hometown, but for me it is.  Any change for me is something that I need a long time to process and plan.  I like to fill out forms six months in advance for activities the kids are doing.  We've been talking about moving, oh, just...the entire time since Jason graduated from college, but we finally decided just to go.  So we're jumping off and moving back to the central valley.

When Jason talked to me this winter and told me he really wanted to just go this summer after we had the baby, I was not super happy at first to be completely honest.  I love it here in Moscow.  But as with all ideas, if you give them time to sit in your head, you start to get excited about new things to do, places to go, and adventures to have with the kids all exactly where you and your husband grew up.  So now I am on board...as evidenced by the fact that my living room already has boxes in it as I am starting to pack and sort through our stuffs.  Come the end of July, we will be hitting the road for the golden state.

To be sure, I will probably be a basket case when we actually leave Moscow.  And by basket case, we're talking a recently post-partum lady (yikes).  But over the last few months I have been praying to have peace about leaving the friendships and community that we have here and to look forward to all there is to come.

I will really miss Moscow though.  We will be leaving a lot of very dear friends. As much as we like to complain about living in a small town in the middle of the Palouse hills, I am very lucky that I can do all of my shopping within a 5 minute radius of our house.    Moscow has a wonderful community, both our church and the city.  Our wonderful farmer's market, the parks, the co-op...oh man, don't even remind me that I will be leaving our co-op.  I guess I will have to start perfecting my own pesto roll recipe.

The other strange thing about this whole move is that we're going back to our hometown as fairly different people than we were when we left it.  I know most everyone changes as they get married, have kids, and start making life decisions about how to raise their family, but it does seem strange to move back to our hometown with a different way of looking at life.  

But the most important thing is that we will be closer to family so that we can help out and the kids can spend more time with at least one set of grandparents.  We'll be much further from Seattle of course, but now we only have one side of the family to visit and they'll have lots of places to stay with friends when they come down our way.  I remind myself of these positives when I think about the fact that our car registration fees will be three times as expensive and utilities will be twice as expensive...which by the way, everyone in the northwest should be thankful for our hydroelectric power.

So my children will be sporting One World Cafe t-shirts and Jason and I will wear our moccasins with pride as we move back to the land of tract home sprawl, malls, and lovely, lovely almond trees.  And please, can someone tell me where to find a good coffee shop in Modesto?

1 comment:

Grace said...

So sad you have to go. But, here's to your Adventure. I'm sure God will bless you!