Wednesday, January 04, 2012

A little bit of unexpected exercise

You should have seen us.  Quite ridiculous.

My sister and I took my mom out for a belated 60th birthday date.  We had a yummy dinner out in Edmonds, then went off in search of a Crabtree & Evelyn to get her some new Gardener's Hand Cream.  We did not find a Crabtree & Evelyn, but we did find an American Girl store and spent a long time oohing and aahing over all the dolls and and accessories.  Well, Anne and I did, not my mom.  She was mostly laughing at us.

After dessert, we realized that we needed to hustle to make the ferry back across the Sound to Kingston.  So we booked it down to the ferry, getting there at 8:58, trying to get on the 9pm ferry. 

My mom and I jumped out of the car and started running.  We ran up to the ticket booth, and hastily threw a debit card at the gentleman and asked breathlessly for tickets for the 9 o'clock ferry if we could still make it. He didn't really say anything, so we assumed it might be ok. 

Tickets in hand, we started to run up the ramp.  The ramp is rather long.  It's not a 50 yard sprint.  I'm no judge of distance, but it certainly felt like 1/4 of a mile or more.  (I'm sure I'm exaggerating.)  And all uphill.  Especially for a 16 week pregnant lady and my mother.  We ran as fast as we could, not wanting to wait another 50 minutes for the next ferry.  After a bit, we were both gasping and my mom, behind me, shouted, "I can't!  I can't make it!" I yelled, "I'll do it Mom!  I'll stop them!!"  It was a dramatic situation.

I finally made it to the top of the ramp and around the corner.  The lady in the booth at the top radioed ahead to the guys about to lift the gangplank.  And they let us on.  We were glad.  And out of breath.  I think I need to take up jogging.

No comments: