Friday, August 12, 2011

As time goes on...

...I feel more and more like a mom. It's 10:40pm and I'm cleaning the kitchen, baking some breakfast fruit crisp and cherry bars for a day trip tomorrow, mopping the floor, and doing laundry. I have very clear memories of my mom working hard to clean up after us, to make our house a home, and to plan fun adventures for us. So I am now doing those things too. Tomorrow we're going to "the dunes" on the Snake River with some friends.

And even though while I am picking up toys, folding miniature clothing, and trying to organize my thoughts/discipline my time enough to plan some pre-school shtuff for Miss H, I am being a mom, it still feels strange to say, "my daughter" or "my son." I'm not sure why. Maybe I'll get used to that by the time they're in high school.

I think it also has to do with the fact that being a mom is who I am now; it's an every day fact, whether it's taking Hazel to the bathroom, changing a diaper, playing peek-a-boo or "there's a tiger!" I don't think to myself, "Now I am going to do "the mama thing." It's just what happens when God gives you a little one (or two) to take care of.

We went cherry picking this week and came home with 10 pounds. It was a wonderful day, not too hot, and the kids had fun eating lots of cherries and running around the orchard.

No comments: