Monday, December 06, 2010

Walking in a winter wonderland


This weekend my parents came to visit and we spent a few days making cookies, going snowshoeing, and making a mini-Thanksgiving dinner. It was fun, but it made me wish that our visit with Jason's mom a few weeks ago hadn't ended with sickness and Jason and I just lying on the couch all day that Sunday. Next time Shellie, we won't get sick!
Showshoeing was great. We hadn't been since I was pregnant with Hazel, so it was great to get out and use the snowshoes Jason bought for us two years ago. We hope to go almost every weekend this winter and try to explore the area around here some more. And it made me wish it was easier (and cheaper) to go skiing around here. Even though we live in the snow, the closest ski resort is a good almost 2 hours away. And with a toddler and a nursing baby, that makes it just out of reach for both of the adults in this family to go. Hopefully Jason will be able to go snowboarding a few times this winter.

Hazel and Klaas rode in carriers and both fell fast asleep. I guess Mom and Dad hiking around is quite soothing. After the hike we sledded down a hill...and even my and my mom's screaming didn't wake Hazel up. She just snored away, hanging there in the backpack.

And I'm finding that I actually like winter this time around. Basically my rule is that if it's above 20 degrees, we still get outside all bundled up. This weekend was so nice and a great 28 degrees with beautiful clear skies.

Here's a video of us sledding (and one of my parents). It may not work, but you can try it out and see!

1 comment:

Shellie said...

Looks like a lot of fun (and your plan sounds like a good one.) I am glad that it was a good weekend.
Although being sick wasn't fun for you-I still had a great time.