Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What they think

I'm trying to find a bathing suit. One that isn't low cut and too tight. That is asking a lot. Jason suggested looking for something that I would feel comfortable wearing as a dress or shirt (for example, since I don't wear halter tops normally, it probably wouldn't work as a bathing suit). Good suggestion and I think I may have found one that works today at the one store in town that sells maternity clothing.

The strange thing is, whenever I am looking for an article of clothing that I have specific requirements (i.e. no cleavage) I get the feeling that the saleslady automatically thinks I'm a Mormon. Based on my conversation today with the owner of the store, I think that's what she thought. Maybe it's because we live in Idaho and there is an abundance of Mormons in this part of the country. But while thinking about that, I don't really like that idea. Why do Mormons have the corner on a reputation of modesty? Shouldn't people think, maybe she's a Christian?

Now I'm not claiming to be perfect in this area. I know I have things in my wardrobe that aren't exactly the best in terms of keeping everything covered up. Or I simply don't notice things that my husband (a guy) does. But it's still something I try to keep in mind when shopping. And it can be difficult and frustrating to find skirts or dresses that go down at least to my knees so that when I sit or bend over it's not a free show of Liz's legs or shirts that don't require a tank top under them.

But it can be done, so consider this an encouragement to all you Christian women out there to remember your brothers in Christ and even the men who aren't and to dress in a way that glorifies the Lord.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array...

4 comments:

Mary and Jim said...

Good point, Liz. Remember the Mormon wedding dress?

Liz said...

Yup! "Oh you don't want strapless? Do you need a Mormon style?"

Shellie said...

It is very frustrating. I would think that since in Moscow, the Christians have really stood up for their beliefs, they would at least ask you if you were a New St. Andrew's student.

Mavis said...

You're right, if I won't wear a dress that comes above my knees why would I strut out in public in something that goes even higher than Jessica Simpson's shorts? Not a chance. Jessica Simpson and I don't have near enough in common. Anyways, I've been wanting to get one of these homely patterns and have fun with it.

http://tinyurl.com/2byntdp

I'm thinking black and white polka dots and lace around the knees. ;) Although really, if I had nicer legs and $150 I would settle for this:

http://tinyurl.com/2e65oba

And if you can get away with it, this could be fun too:

http://www.becomingswimdress.com/