Monday, April 12, 2010

Science Project

Something about starting seeds in the spring brings out the third grader in us. We love checking the egg flats every day to see how much the sprouts have grown and what new seeds are pushing up. This year we have started "organic" (not sure what that means in terms of seeds) lettuce, bell pepper, sacred basil, sweet basil, sweet peas, nasturtiums, cherry tomato, rosemary, and oregano. The lettuce won the race to be the first to emerge and now some of the sweet pea, sweet basil, and nasturtium seeds are coming up.

In other news, on our walk Sunday evening Hazel showed us how well her mama has trained her. Walking past Bucer's, she automatically turned to go inside and was disappointed to find it closed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hazel and her mama are my kind of girls. We should always try to go to Bucers if possible. Of course, I am glad I have Jake's for my Bible Study coffee. Now, if they would only take a page from Bucers play date day prices.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous being Hazel's Grandma Shellie

Grace said...

Our sprouts have gained our full attention too. Lots of fun.

Mary and Jim said...

Is this the same daughter who never showed any interest in the garden?

Liz said...

It is. :) Though the old me still comes through at the end of summer when I'm tired of watering all my pots with a watering can and I start to lose interest.

Janae said...

Good for you, Liz! Yay for gardening! I'm jealous, I wish I could do that here.

And I laughed when I read about Hazel and saw the photo. Too funny!

Buhrmaster said...

I don't get out into blog-land much - but I wanted to say I really like the idea of gardening - egg carton style! In all my years, believe it or not, I have never seen or heard of starting seeds that way. Great idea!! I enjoy keeping in touch with your lovely growing family this way. Thanks for sharing.