Monday, December 05, 2005

Ahh Memories

Since he had the morning off before class, and it's snowy outside, and he bought a snowboard last year (you might be able to see where this is going), Jason drove up to the hills to try out the powder.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I wasn't able to see this because I was at work, but when he picked me up I got to try out snowboarding.
I did quite well, sliding down our parking lot towards our neighbor's truck. Ok, Jason was pulling me along and helping me stand up. But the point is, I snowboarded.
Then he left me to my own devices and I promptly fell over.
As I lay there in the snow, a memory came flashing back.
When we were little, my parents took us cross country skiing every winter. And of course an 8 year old, a 10 year old, and a 12 year old are apt to fall over. The most vivid part about these memories are my parents skiing along yelling back at us that we have to get our skis parallel to stand up. Parellel? What's parallel? It was the most frustrating experience with my legs flailing in the air and my skis getting crossed and being unable to follow my dad's instructions.

But I managed to stand up today...eventually.

Another thing...I think it is a bad sign that I say now, "Hmmm...it's not that cold today," when it is a balmy 28 degrees. Help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah Memories- coaxing whiny kids up a hill with oatmeal cookies while on skiis, untangling twisted kids legs/skiis and arms while sliding around.

But I must have missed the Sierra-sized hill in your parking lot that you were snowboarding on!. That must be tough to get out every morning! Maybe Miranda was hiding among the moguls for 5 days, not in the engine!